We apologise for the onslaught of Star Wars Episode VII news we keep posting. There’s cookies at the end of this though, which are always welcome. Anyway, way back in 2009 a little known blog leaked news that LucasFilm were planning the early stages of a Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, and now we know that’s true.
Little late on the confirmation side though.
Now, the blog (MarketSaw) are back with more news on the recently-announced Star Wars Episode VII and this means they either have a legit source inside LucasFilm, or they’re just sucking off the SEO-tit right now and are bullshitting us. At least it’s still fun to speculate. The blog have put forward a shortlist of directors (one that fanboys will love) for the movie, and a few plot details. Check everything out below:
- The films are reworked versions of what Lucas was planning as far back as when he was making the original trilogy.
- This next trilogy may merge plot points originally intended to span two trilogies – the second featuring the Skywalker offspring.
- Luke Skywalker is a key character.
- And so are many of “the original trilogy cast” with Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2 set to appear.
- Hamill is already locked-in.
- The Empire was not completely destroyed at the end of Return of the Jedi.
- Disney intend “on playing to the cultural significance of that original trilogy.”
- The scripts that have already been written for the live-action TV show “will be absorbed in some way into a TV format.”
- Disney are “all over” restoring the original trilogy.
And finally, the director shortlist:
- Steven Spielberg
- Neil Blomkamp
- Alfonso Cuaron
- Matthew Vaughn
- Joss Whedon
- Darren Aronofsky
The only thing that strikes me about that shortlist is that every name on it feels like one of the many names thrown about by rabid fanboys the past few days, although that’s technically a good thing. What do you think about this? Bullshit or fact? Share your thoughts below.