WARNING SPOILERS FOR MAN OF STEEL AND POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR MAN OF STEEL 2 (Batman vs Superman) FOLLOW.
According to an article by Latino Review (who are usually good with the rumor accuracy), plot details for the Batman vs. Superman film, or Man of Steel 2 – for anyone who still cares about the fact that this is a Superman movie – have surfaced online.
You read correctly, ladies and gentlemen! Those black stripes are spoiler-filled Batman vs. Superman goodies. The person who first broke the news online says that their source is a former employee of the film’s art department, so… it sounds legit (said no one ever).
Take this with a grain of salt.
Some of them make for interesting possibilities. Plot details are as follows:
- Lex Luthor and Metallo will be the villains.
- Batman forms a UN type deal Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city.
- Aquaman is in it, but is not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish.
- Wonder Woman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.
- Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.
- Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them.
- The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton’s.
- Lois is investigating Lex.
- Metallo “kills” Clark.
- The Daily Planet is bought by Lex Luthor for PR purposes.
- At the end Superman is living in exile, and the Justice League is a government approved superhero team.
For me, I think some of the most important points to discuss are the fact that Batman seems to be reaching out to governments to create a form of “sanction” on Superman. This really shows that the film will deal very heavily with the aftermath of Superman’s reign of destruction at the end of Man of Steel. I think everyone saw this coming.
Also on the topic of Batman, these details definitely fit with the much-mentioned “season fighter” interpretation that the film is taking to Batman’s character. According to these details, this Batman has been Batman-ing around long enough to have had a Robin. However, I am not sure I particularly like the possibly of them having a “falling out” because of a “betrayal” by Robin.
The other thing is that, apparently, in addition to Batman and Wonder Woman we will have Aquaman in the movie, as well. This is really interesting especially since I have no idea what a “World Engine” (editor’s note: it was the name for the terraforming machine from Man of Steel) is but at least his origin seems to be intact. There will be fish. It sounds exciting.
However, this begs the question why they decided to introduce Aquaman before any of the other non-Trinity characters. Could he be that more popular than The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and Cyborg?
Finally, the last plot detail is probably going to be the most important to fans of the Man of Tomorrow, if the film does end with Superman in exile it suggests that they are continuing with the dark, gritty and angsty approach by reinforcing the fact that this Superman is a loner who can’t really live amongst humanity if he wants to also embrace his Kryptonian side. The question is: Who is going to lead the Justice League now?
Sound off in the comments and let’s see what crazy theories we can make up about what this “World Engine” thing is.
SOURCE: LATINO REVIEW